Friday, November 27, 2009

Predicament.

Time was there, so I willed it away. At Subang Parade's MPH bookstore.

The store is pretty big, lots of books, quite comfortable, so decided to hang around and read. (Yes, I know, pretty cheap of me)

Was walking around, when I noticed this boy handling some packets of collectible football cards. Just turning the packet around, bending it slightly (I'm familiar with these gestures as I used to be an avid collector of Pokemon cards myself *NERD ALERT!* and I usually test the packet by bending it to see if there are any rare holo cards in it)

So, no harm there. BUT, something about his demeanor made me take notice. I don't know if it was his weird ass hair ( He's about 5-ish, I dunno. Terrible at guessing age. His hair was in a mock mohawk) or maybe some sort of psychic aura-detecting inborn ability, but I was paying attention to him.

Quietly, he slipped the product into his pocket.

Now, I didn't do anything. I don't know whether to call myself a coward, or whatever, but... I dunno... I couldn't.

Number 1: He was so young!!!

How can I do that to a young boy? Reporting him to any authority may cause him lots of embarrassment, lest disciplinary action.

I've been a small boy before, and let me tell you. Even a frown from a stranger can cause lots of tears and years of trauma and bed-wetting (Don't ask).

Don't even get me started on punishment meted out by the parents.


Number 2: I didn't want to cause a scene.

Little boys may be young, but they're not stupid. Any street smart child will be able to twist turn their way out of a sticky situation. Then his parents will be after my neck, not to mention the commotion if Mr and Mrs Shoplifter Senior decides to openly condemn me. I can just imagine:

"What ah? You calling my son a thief la now?"

"No.. I mean...I saw him take..."

"You saw, you saw, means is real meh? Got any witness anot?"

"The thing was found in his pocket..."

"So what? Ha? Maybe he accidentally le? You big ass boy, why always want to bully small kid? Very syok is it?"

"......"

" You see la everybody *Raises Voice* this young man ar, little kid also want to bully! Should be ashamed! Shame shame la you!"

Sigh.... feeling guilty now. Maybe I SHOULD have told him off.

Sorry MPH... =(

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw. cheer up! well now u know wad to do the next time u're the same situation. but honestly, i wouldn't know wad to do either if i were u. and isn't the beeper supposed to go off if u steal something & walk out the entrance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx Jul Jul. Nope, the things didn't have a tag.

    ReplyDelete