Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentines Day

Valentines Day happens to fall on the first day of Chinese New Year, thus overshadowing the celebration of chocolate-shaped pink hearts and cherubic cupids, with images of dancing odd-cloth lions and fiery red paper-packets stuffed with moolah.

Poor 'ol Mr. Valentine.

But I digress.

There can never be, and there never was, any significant semblance or wriggle room to actually successfully incorporate these two commercial festivals.

I mean, seriously. Chinese New Year --- Romance? Love? Mushy lovey dovey, baby waby carrotsticky honeybun?

Don't make me laugh till I bleed tears of irony.

Call me a cynic. I don't care.

Chinese New Year, like Christmas, has evolved for me into a morose blend of noise, loud colors, politicking and lots of bitchy yabbering. It's tiring. To flutter from one person's domain to another, listening to the same 'compliments', telling the same stories, regaling with the same high pitched fake laughter.

When will the DRAMA ever stop??!!

When will it be about FAMILY? When will it be about upholding tradition within the context of a peaceful community? When will it be GENUINE?

I abhor it...

No comments:

Post a Comment